I enthusiastically used MailTags starting almost from the day I got my first Mac and until the last Friday. The reason I gave up was that my Mail.app has been choking on MailTags for the last several months. Working with email has become painfully slow: most of the time the bulk of the memory and over 100% of CPU was consumed by “Saving MailTags”. Rebuilding mailboxes and databases, re-installing and cleaning caches, and archiving old mail did not help. Finally I decided to remove MailTags by deleting ~/Library/Mail/Bundles/MailTags.mailbundle. I am now able to zip through my mail again. I am missing my keywords and projects a bit but the re-gained ability to search and jump between folders more than compensates for it. Brett Terpstra spoke about doing the same on this episode of MPU. He hopes MailTags will bounce back. Me too. Meanwhile, it’s one more lesson to make my filing and tagging system redundant and non-proprietary.
- Never end your email with "Thanks in advance"
- What software do I really need for academic work on Mac?
- When and how to use email reminders
- Overcoming OmniFocus' myopia: OmniOutliner and the yet-to-be-discovered academic planning software
- OS X Mavericks and OpenMeta tags
- 5 things to keep out of OmniFocus
- Collaboration in academic writing: software and beyond
- 50 pounds of writing
- Papers 3: still disappointing
- Captions, cross-references, and lists in Miscrosoft Word
Aleh Cherp on BusyContacts and academic… art2science on BusyContacts and academic… Charles on BusyContacts and academic… Todd on Papers 3 library searchable by… D on Papers 3 is here
- Alfred AppleScript Brett Terpstra BusyCal BusyContacts Byword Cobook Daylite DefaultFolderX DevonThink Drafts Dropbox Evernote Fantastical FoxTrot Hazel iOS Kaleidoscope Keynote Launchbar literature review lucy kellaway Macpowerusers MailActOn MailTags Mark Bernstein Mavericks Microsoft Word MindNode minimal multimarkdown NValt Nvivo OfficeTime OmniFocus OmniGraffle OmniOutliner OpenMeta OS Pages Papers PDF Expert Pomodoro SaneBox Scrivener Sente Skim TaskPaper text editing TextExpander Tinderbox typography Ulysses Ulysses III writing